Sunday, June 26, 2011

German words?

This week my hubby's parents came down from Indiana to take a peek at our house. We were pretty dang nervous, because A) my father-in-law is a carpenter that has spent an entire career remodeling house, and B) we were pretty sure that they were going to think that we were crazy for taking on such a big project. But lucky for them, and lucky for us, they realized that hubby and I were crazy long before the House at Sugar Creek! (haha)

This week will be a big week for us. We're having a local window company come and take a look at what it will cost us to replace all of the windows in the house. I hate to do it, but the windows are much too deteriorated to save. Cross your fingers and lets hope that there isn't too much lead paint in the window frames!

Something rather amazing happened while my mother-in-law (hereafter referred to as MIL) was walking through the house. I showed her the writing on the back of the doors in the original section of the house, and she recognized some of the words. But before I tell you what she realized, you need a tiny history lesson. History tells us that German settlers were some of the first non-natives to inhabit northern Louisiana, and the first non-native settlement in northern Louisiana was built (correct me if I'm wrong, historian friends) within a 20 mile drive from Sugar Creek. So with our German heritage in place, you also need to know that my mother-in-law just retired after teaching German for around 30 years. As soon as she saw the enormous word that was written on the back of a bedroom door, she pointed out that it's probably of German origin. According to my MIL, haus = house. And she's thinking that the faded beginning of the word means blessings. It seems that the German language often combines multiple words together to form new words. Maybe that's what's happening on the back of the door.

I also think that the writing on the door(s) might tie in with southern Louisiana tradition. Writing on doorways in southern Louisiana tradition often casts curses or blessings, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe we have found an early-1800's combination of southern Louisiana and German traditions. What do you guys think? If you have a clue, be sure to send me an email or comment back here!

Here is an up-close photo of the end of the word. Scroll down through our older posts to find the complete word.



We haven't been working on the house very much this month. We lost my Uncle Trey very unexpectedly on the 6th of June, and we haven't felt much like doing restoration work. He was one of the first people that didn't call us "crazy" for choosing to do this project, and he was one of my closest friends.

We love and miss you, Trey. And we know you'll be keeping an eye on us from up above. ~ hugs ~

No comments:

Post a Comment