Tuesday, October 11, 2011

OLD SAM CAT

This posting contains section fourteen of twenty-one sections that describe life in Sugar Creek, Louisiana prior to 1902. If you haven't read the post about the significance of VERA TAYLOR ODEN's memoir, click here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SECTION XIV: (OUR PETS)

We always had a lots of cats, but no dogs, until after Curtis was born. We also had pet chickens, some squirrels which had a house in a large gourd in a mulberry tree. I also had a rabbit for a few days but it disappeared. One of our cats lived for a long time and when he died we buried him and cousin Jeff wrote an epitaph for his head-board.

"HERE LIES OLD SAM CAT, HE HAS CAUGHT MANY A RAT.
WE DON'T KNOW WHEN HE WAS BORN, BUT HE DIED ON MONDAY MORN.
HE DIED IN 1897, AND WE HOPE HE HAS GONE TO HEAVEN."


---------------------------------------------------------------------------


I can't even begin to explain how excited I was when I read this section of Mrs. Vera Oden Taylor's memoir. I started squealing, then started laughing hysterically. My eyes filled with tears and then I held my breath for a few seconds. I guess this section of the memoir really made the history of THE HOUSE AT SUGAR CREEK very real to me. It's one thing to realize that somebody had to build the house, and that somebody had to live there before you. But to know the people so well that you even know their pets' names is another thing entirely. Somewhere on the property, little Sam is buried. I don't know where, but I do know one thing. We're definitely going to recreate his headboard and place it somewhere at Sugar Creek.

2 comments:

  1. The history is getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy, isn't it! I couldn't believe it when I read this memoir... it's breathtaking! Wait until I post the section about the the hypnotist! You won't believe it!

    ReplyDelete