Thursday, November 17, 2011

Elevation Renderings by LESTAR MARTIN

We met with Architect Lestar Martin last month, and he was very excited to show us the completed architectural renderings for THE HOUSE AT SUGAR CREEK. Here are a few of the elevation renderings... this should give you a thorough idea of what the ole' dog-trot will like like post-renovation. But before you scroll down to the fantastic renderings, let me once again say that Lestar Martin is a genius. He really is.

If you chose to restore a historic home, I cannot stress the importance of finding someone like Lestar to take a look at your home pre-restoration. Lestar went through THE HOUSE AT SUGAR CREEK with a fine tooth comb, and when he was finished he gave us details about the house that we could never have learned on our own. He worked to design a hidden staircase, to include closets with very little disturbance to the original walls, and he gave us so many money-saving suggestions for the renovation that he literally paid for his own services. And even more importantly, Lestar's excitement over the architectural significance of THE HOUSE AT SUGAR CREEK was positively uplifting. He told us at least a dozen times, "There's no way you can be as excited about this house as I am." Lestar gave us literature on how to restore our historic windows, and happily pointed out that old windows can be very energy efficient when they are properly restored. He designed the Heating/Air Conditioning Systems to cool the entire house with minimal ductwork, as there is no ductwork in place and we will be starting from scratch. These are just a few of the details that he pointed out to save us big money on this project.

I remember the first time that Lestar Martin came to SUGAR CREEK. I walked through the house with him, and I was pointing out my ideas for the renovation every time we turned a corner. Lestar finally grinned at me and said, "That's fine, but let me come up with my own design first. Then if you don't like it, we'll make changes." When he met us a week later with his vision of the restored dog-trot, I abandoned my previous thoughts entirely. And believe you me, I'm not the kind of gal that gives in easily. But Mr. Martin's ideas were brilliant, and my own ideas, however well thought out, didn't hold a candle in the wind next to his.

So without further adieu, I give you Lestar Martin's Elevation Renderings of THE HOUSE AT SUGAR CREEK. Click on the images to view a larger version of the renderings. And remember-- a brilliant historic architect is worth five times his weight in gold!







2 comments:

  1. Cool! I can’t wait to see the finished product of the restoration. Nice sketch too. I’m particularly interested on how you will renovate the roof vents of this old structure. Vents are a very important part of the roofing since it extends the life of the roof by balancing the air and moisture. But it requires extensive knowledge to install this. Roofers have to pry up the shingles of the roof to carefully place the vent. Owners must also check it from time to time for molds and phantom leaks.

    [Neil Hirsh]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Neil! We're putting in several different types of vents... Mr. Lester says that this is particularly important. Currently we have none! We'll be working on vents in late spring of 2013, and we'll be blogging about it as we go. Thanks for all of the great advice!

    ReplyDelete