Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Ye ole' Chimney



I thought I'd share this lovely photo of THE HOUSE AT SUGAR CREEK, taken (obviously) during WWII. The man on the horse is Jack, and he was born in the house. His birth certificate actually says SUGAR CREEK, LOUISIANA!

This photo thrills me for several reasons. First, it's a great photo of Jack. And secondly, it's a great shot of a chimney that fell to the ground long ago. This is one of the original "rope chimneys", named because rope chimneys could be pulled down easily with a rope and a mule. One of the die-hard rules in dog-trot architecture is the detached chimney. Notice how the chimney is much smaller at the top than at the bottom. Now imagine throwing a rope around it and hitching up your mule. This concept saved many a home from burning back in the day, I suppose.

So what is our plan for the chimney? Both chimneys will be rebuilt, exactly as they were before, and I plan on lighting at least a thousand fires beneath the original mantels (yep, we have them!) before my time is up on this earth. There will be a fireplace in the master bedroom, and a fireplace in the parlor. I can't wait until our first real Christmas in the house. I'll have the fireplaces going, and garland on this old mantel. I can already see it in my mind... and believe me, it's going to be beautiful.


(One of the original mantels from THE HOUSE AT SUGAR CREEK.)

No comments:

Post a Comment