Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A cruise around my "neighborhood"

My family (parents, brothers, sister, etc...) may not share my enthusiasm for historic architecture, but my brother and my father DEFINITELY love historic automobiles.  Dad had a body shop when I was a kid, and one of my favorite restorations was a 1934 Ford that he transformed from a neglected, dented body rusting in a field into a sexy hot rod painted Candy Apple Red.  Dad bought me a 1957 Willys Jeep (pink) when I was 14 years old and I still have her.  She needs a new restoration (this makes me feel very old!) and hopefully her facelift will get underway soon.  She's currently huddled on the front porch of this dogtrot until further notice, making us look somewhat redneck.  But you know what?  I'm not sticking her out in the rain, so until I have the spare time to build her a little pink garage of her own, the front porch is where she will stay.   

I'm not the only one of my siblings who loves old cars, though.  My brother also inherited Dad's love for antique automobiles, and this morning said brother (Leo) stopped by the dogtrot in his 1963 Corvette.  He insisted that I stop working for a few minutes and go for a little joyride around the "neighborhood." He didn't need to twist my arm.  ;-)

Is there anything better than sunny skies, beautiful temperatures, the smell of burning rubber, a revving engine, the golden oldies playing on a single speaker, and hysterical laughter?  Methinks not.

Cruise along with us for a few minutes with this video and take in the country road that leads to THE HOUSE AT SUGAR CREEK.  You'll see that northern Louisiana is very hilly, unlike the swampy, alligator-infested movie version of the entire state.  (Don't get me wrong, we do have gators--but they're in the lakes and bayous.)  One thing that I love about Claiborne Parish: my nearest neighbor is miles away, and the roads wind over the surprisingly tall hilltops and snake through the pine-scented valleys.  These two lane roads in the woods are heaven on earth to me.  But they also serve another purpose: they're the perfect setting for a stick shift....



2 comments:

  1. This looks like one of my favorite roads across N. Louisiana, Highway 2. Is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, Debbie.... but it's close. :-) It's highway 533.

    ReplyDelete