Tuesday, September 2, 2014

JACK'S BACK!

Good morning from Sugar Creek, Louisiana, y'all!

Yes, I know that it has been ages since I've dedicated my free time to blogging about the restoration of our darling 1888 2-story dogtrot house.  But so much has happened that I just didn't know where to begin.  I was embarrassed, I suppose.  The end of the twelve year marriage between my former restoration partner and I was difficult for me, not because I was heartbroken, but because I was AFRAID.  I was afraid of being solely in charge of this restoration, even though I knew in my heart that I could handle it.  But despite my desire to learn and complete this restoration, I wasn't comfortable with sharing my struggles on this blog.  I couldn't step out on faith and just blog about the changes in our lives because I couldn't quite understand them enough to realize that ALL OF THE CHANGES were major improvements.  I didn't know where to begin again with my online journal, so I just stopped and waited until I felt "right" about continuing a very public restoration.

I know where to begin now, though.  And it feels oh-so-right.

A lot has happened since I booted my X out in January of 2013.  Y'all look into the eyes of the gal in the photo attached to this post--it's me.  I'm happy.  VERY happy.  I've learned to use saws and drills and crow bars and jacks and I've thrown my energy into creating a home that will not simply comfort us, but also others.  You see, this house will one day become a Bed and Breakfast retreat that will help many people find the joy and peace that I have found.  I've known that this would be our dogtrot's purpose for a very long time, but so many "coincidences" have happened lately that there is zero doubt in my mind that we are on a very special mission to heal wounds in the deep south.  My spirit has grown exponentially.  My confidence is at an all time high, and this house has come a long way.  My children have grown like native plants beneath a southern sun.  And now it's time to share our journey.

The house isn't finished yet, so know that there will be a gazillion posts coming soon about the restoration journey we're still undertaking.  But first I must step back in time, back to the day that everything changed for us.  The children & I have redefined our idea of the word "family."  We have learned to be strong, even in our weakest moments.  I joined the choir in the old church behind our dogtrot--the church with strong historical ties to the house--the church that was begun by slaves before the civil war--the church that accepted us just as we are and taught us to understand what FREEDOM truly feels like.  And that's exactly where I am going to begin with my next post--I'll begin with the historic church that stands high upon a rocky hill just behind this dogtrot home and the little piece of history I found in the attic that made me walk through their doors one Sunday morning... this ain't a religion thaaaang.  It's an inner peace thaaaang.  It's a culture thaaaang.  It's a revolution, so to speak.  And it's an amazing story that I can't wait to share with all of you. 

So until we meet again (and we'll do so very soon) HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!  I'm sending love, peace, and tons of light from THE HOUSE AT SUGAR CREEK to you.

Jacquelyn



3 comments:

  1. You are simply amazing. Yes, YOU! You inspire me and touch my heart. Thank you for being you and keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be very interested in coming to stay a weekend when you open the B&B. A little old house with peace and quiet in the country is my idea of a perfect weekend escape from the hectic pace in Shreveport. Good luck, dear. Looking forward to reading of your restoration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank y'all so much! We have much to do before we're "finished" with this old house, and I can't wait to share the remaining restoration moments (and our inspired lives) with you. :-) MUCH LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete