Sunday, October 5, 2014

Thank you, JAMES JOYCE!


The word on my bathroom door haunts me. I STILL don't know for certain what it means, though I've tried (and had others try) to decipher it.
TRANSMAGNIFICANETUBANDANSIALITY.

*********Eye twitch.***** 

What does it mean? 

*********Eye twitch.*****

So this morning, whilst suffering from the all-too-familiar eye twitch that accompanies the crazy word on my bathroom door, I found myself on the computer.  I went straight to my handy online latin to english translator, which every good southern gal uses daily (yeah, right!), and gave the letters a whirl again. Only this time, something weird happened. I already KNOW for sure that trans means "to cross into." So I typed the letters "magnifican" and accidentally hit search in Google instead of the online translator, and look what popped up:


JAMES JOYCE in his book ULYSSES: "Is that then the divine substance wherein Father and Son are consubstantial? Where is poor dear Arius to try conclusions? Warring his life long upon the contransmagnificandjewbangtantiality."
Okay. So let me get this right.... James Joyce, in classic literary genius, penned a similar word in ULYSSES, his most famous book????

I did not expect this connection.

I proceeded, at said moment of discovering a possible connection between my bathroom door and JAMES JOYCE, to almost faint. With my mouth gaping open and my eyes bulging almost out of their sockets, I scrolled down through the article.

What came next more than upped the ante.

There it was, plain as day on the page. THE WORD on my bathroom door, in all of its ridiculously long glory. TRANSMAGNIFICANTUBANDANSIALITY.  On the internet.  So on a website that highlights the work of James Joyce, the LAST place I would have ever thought to look for the origins of my door, I learned some of the history behind the word that has vexed me so.
I STILL don't know what the heck it means. But I do know that TRANSMAGNIFICANTUBANDANSIALITY has just intrigued me yet again. And that, my friends, is freaking awesome.

Here's a link in case you wanna take a peek at the word origins:

No comments:

Post a Comment